Wednesday, November 3, 2010

THUS SPAKE LORD VINAYAKA - EXCERPTS FROM HIS BOOK

Thus Spake Lord Vinayaka
EXCERPTS FROM HIS BOOK - An Eye to Indian Policing - Challenge & Response
In late October 1970, the city of Madras was agog with the talk that a Vinayaka1 idol had appeared on its own from underneath the earth in Mambalam2 with a big explosion, with all the trappings of a divine appearance. The Hindu devotees called it a swyambu3 idol. An Anglo-Indian sergeant Huggins, a Christian living in the police quarters abutting the place, whom I interrogated, put a cross on his face and gestured towards the sky and called it a divine glory. According to the people of the area, especially the devout Hindus, there was a divine glow in the skies which disappeared thereafter. When I got the news about this around 3 a.m. that morning from the Police Control Room, in my capacity as the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Law and Order Madras city, what struck me immediately was that it should not lead to a communal flare up in an otherwise peaceful Madras city-Tamil Nadu had been fairly free from communal tensions all these years. That was what I prayed for and Vinayaka obliged.
When I reached the spot, there was a huge crowd with Jaffar Ali, my Assistant Commissioner already there. Jaffar Ali was there only in the absence of Ranjit Singh, the Assistant Commissioner of Police of the area who was on leave that day. Ranjit Singh, however, joined us later. Inspector Viswanathan of Mambalam police station had to be woken up from his "spirituous slumber". Hence, I had to take Inspector Vasudevan of Saidapet division for assistance. Our initial job was to regulate and control the crowd. Already, shops selling betel leaves4, camphor, coconut and plantain had sprung up. A hundi had also materialised. All these things gave one a feeling of a mythological happening, but, I took care to give proper protection to the hundi. As the news spread, people not only from all corners of Tamil Nadu, but all over the country started arriving in tourist buses to have a glimpse of the Vinyaka idol which was supposed to have come on its own from underneath the earth and hence sacred. There was quite a sensation and the newspapers carried huge headlines every day thereafter. This Vinayaka however did not drink milk!5
The investigation continued till late that night. I returned home very late and slept like a log. Suddenly, I woke up, of course in my dream, when a huge figure looking like Lord Vinayaka materialised and laughed. I recall below the conversation which transpired between me and the figure which looked very much like Lord Vinayaka himself.
Me                        :     Who are you?
Vinayaka               :     I am the Vinayaka that appeared in your police land near Mambalam Police Station late last night.
Me                        :     What?  You are that Vinayaka.  How can it be?
Vinayaka               :     Yes I am that Vinayaka. You can be sure of it! You want to know how I materialised?
Me                        :     Yes please tell me how?
Vinayaka               :     I won't tell you. You find it out yourself. But, I can tell you one thing. Do I look having come on my own from underneath the earth?
So saying, Lord Vinayaka disappeared again with a derisive laughter.
What I have said above, is not fiction nor a mythological tale, but something which is based on investigation. In fact, I wrote an article in a journal at that time with the same title Thus Spake Lord Vinayaka on the facts of investigation in this case.
Professional response to a Complicated religious issue
The background of this idol coming up on its own from underneath the earth was that Chief Minister Karunanidhi, in response to the request of DMK's electoral alliance partner—the Muslim League6 had agreed to allot a piece of land abutting Mambalam Police Station for building a mosque as some sort of a mosque which already existed in the nearby Ranganathan Street had become dilapidated. We had brought to the notice of Karunanidhi the intense feelings among the Hindus of the area against building a mosque in an essentially Hindu area. Karunanidhi had pooh poohed our advice. It is in this background that a Vinayaka idol had materialised in that land. So I had a hunch that some miscreants had wanted to thwart the attempt to build a mosque in that land and had hence organised the appearance of this idol. But I could not say that, because people would only say that I had said it only at the instance of Karunanidhi who was a well-known rationalist. In the meantime, Karunanidhi had also complicated the issue by taking a public stance against the concept of swayambu idol. He quoted the Kanchi Mutt saying that even they had denied the concept of a swayambu idol, which naturally brought forth a righteous rebuttal from the Kanchi Mutt. The Kanchi Mutt had said that neither Karunanidhi nor any of his representatives had ever met the Kanchi Paramacharya nor had Kanchi Paramacharya said anything against the concept of a swayambu idol. The rebuttal from Kanchi Mutt ended with a plea to Karunanidhi and his government not to drag the mutt into this controversy. Karunanidhi had also further complicated the issue by going hammer and tongs against Hindu idol worship which was unwarranted. The DK leaders had also issued statements against such idols and so did the Muslim League. The Jan Sangh7, had entered the fray in support of such idols. I remember very vividly that Cho of Thuklak* had writen expressing his reservations about this swayambu idol.
On the one hand, there was thus a vitiated atmosphere and on the other, the crowd visiting the idol grew in numbers day by day. There was a big festive atmosphere and regular prayers were going on and now the issue had assumed religious overtones. It was precisely for this reason that I did not want to say or do anything without concrete proof to show that the idol was planted and complicate the issue further, as this issue had a bearing on the religious sentiments of the Hindus. At the same time, I could not stand by and watch the whole thing. I remember very distinctly that at that time CM Karunanidhi used to call me every other day and ask me about the progress of the investigation. I would tell him that I had investigated many a complicated murder case or white collar offence but this seems to be much more complicated because it had a bearing on the religious sentiments of the people and we had to go about it not only very carefully, but also thoroughly.
Suddenly, I had a brainwave that I should go in for a scientific evidence as to the age of the idol and to establish whether the mud on the idol and the mud beneath the idol belonged to the same molecular formation. I sought the opinion of an archaeologist to find out the antiquity of the idol and a geologist to establish whether the mud on the idol and that beneath it belonged to the same molecular formation. I was only a student of economics and statistics and our Forensic Science or Medico-legal Jurisprudence had not taught us anything about this but still it occurred to me that I should go in for such scientific evidence.
The opinion of the archaeologist was clear and categorical. According to him, the idol was hardly a month old and the geologist said that the mud below and the mud on the idol did not belong to the same molecular formation.
The archaeologist's evidence that the idol was hardly a month old ruled out the theory that the idol was embedded beneath the earth for ages as is the case of swayambu idols. This was reinforced by the evidence of the geologist that the mud on the idol and mud beneath it did not belong to the same molecular formation. So, it was established that the source of the idol was external. It was very clear that the idol had not come on its own from beneath the earth, closing the lid on the concept of swayambu in so far as this idol was concerned. Regarding the swayambu idols themselves, otherwise in the history of the temples in Tamil Nadu as vouched by archaeologists and mythological stories, there are a number of instances. I told Karunanidhi that this particular idol was not a Swayambu idol, but a planted one. On this, Karunanidhi insisted that I give a press statement. So, after informing Mahadevan, the Inspector General of Police and Commissioner Kuppuswami, I issued a statement giving the details of scientific evidence and conclusion that it could only be a planted idol. Once it was established that it was not a swayambu idol and hence of no religious significance, I moved swiftly and removed the idol because I found that the idol had become a focal point of religious controversy. I had also another angle to this in the saying of Thirumoolar, a Tamil savant to the effect, that if you just see a stone in this idol, there is no god and if you see a god in it, then there is no stone—this being a planted idol had no place there.
My memorable interaction with Rajaji—The Great Statesman
My statement had its own reactions, both for and against. Some criticised me that I had acted only at the instance of Karunanidhi, which is not true. The whole issue was thus resolved within 10 days after the idol apppeared and within three days after my statement, Karunanidhi told me when we had a meeting at the Secretariat—when Murasoli Maran9, Mahadevan the Inspector General of Police and Kuppuswami, the Commissioner of Police were present—that Rajaji had rung him up that morning to say that he would like to meet me personally to congratulate me. It must be said to the credit of Karunanidhi that he did not reject the idea, but asked me to meet Rajaji. This also incidentally shows how Rajaji was protocol-prone in moving through Chief Minister Karunanidhi and not contacting me directly. Karunanidhi asked for my suggestion as to how we could utilise Rajaji's services in this matter. I told Karunanidhi that probably I could request Rajaji to issue a statement appealing to the die-hard Hindus not to make an issue of this idol as it was only a planted idol. My reasoning was that Rajaji was after all not only a great statesman, but one who had written a lot on the Hindu religion and his writings on the famous epics—Ramayana and Mahabaratha have an immortal value. Karunanidhi agreed and I insisted that I must take Kuppuswami, the Commissioner of Police also with me. I had my own reasons for this which I will narrate later. That morning itself, at 11 a.m., we had gone to meet Rajaji at his residence on Naoroji Road in Madras. By way of showing my respect to that great personality, who was a former Governor General, Governor and Chief Minister I went in uniform, whereas Kuppuswami unfortunately came in civil dress pooh-poohing Rajaji which I felt was a great disrespect to him. As we entered, Rajaji received us and I introduced myself and Kuppuswami as Manradiyar's10 brother-in-law. Rajaji just nodded his head. I give below the conversation which transpired between us in verbatim:
Rajaji    :   You are the Deputy Commissioner Vaikunth who solved this problem. You are so young.
Me        :   Sir.
Rajaji    :   Tamil Nadu has so far been free from communal tension. But, I was worried whether this episode would lead us to that situation because this episode had all the potentialities for a communal flare up. I am very glad that you solved it. How did you solve it?
I narrated the scientific evidence I had let in and the way I went about it carefully as it had a bearing on the religious sentiments of the Hindus.
Rajaji    :   Wonderful young man, for all your calibre and competence I am sure that you are going to head the Tamil Nadu police force one of these days. You have my blessings.
So saying, Rajaji literally put his right hand palm on my head. I was deeply touched by his gesture. I could see from the corner of my eyes that the Kuppuswamy Commissioner did not relish it.
Me        :   Sir, I have a request to make.
Rajaji    :   What do you think I can do for you?
Me        :   Sir, nothing for me personally. You are a man of stature, you have written a lot on the Hindu religion and your famous writings on the epics Ramayana and Mahabharatha are popular not only among the people of South India but also other parts of the country. I feel that a statement from you appealing to the Hindus not to make an issue of this idol, as it is afterall a planted idol, will have a lot of impact and the whole situation can be defused and Tamil Nadu will be free from any law and order problem on this issue.
Rajaji    :   Yes young man, I will do it. I will keep a statement ready and then tell you. You have to take it personally and give it to G. Kasturi, Editor of The Hindu. But young man, before I forget, please tell Karunanidhi that he may think that he is politically clever but he is not as mature as I am.
I just smiled and looked at him with surprise.
Rajaji    :   I know that you are surprised, I again understand your feelings on how to convey this delicate advice from me to Kamnanidhi. I also know that you are wondering why I said this.
So saying Rajaji added:
"On an issue like this, which has a bearing on the religious sentiments of Hindus, Karunanidhi as an administrator has no business to take public stances. For instance, what is the need for him to drag the Kanchi Mutt into this controversy? Again, when the Kanchi Mutt issued a rebuttal to Karunanidhi's statement on Swayambu idols, what is the need for Karunanidhi to criticise and denigrate idol worship?"
On this, I briefly narrated to him the interesting interaction I had as a student with Pandit Nehru on a similar issue. Rajaji patted me appreciatively and added, "You see young man, you are a police officer, you must know that Karunanidhi claiming himself as the disciple of E.V.Periyar Ramaswamy may not believe in the Hindu religious practices. But, as a Chief Minister administering the State, he has to take a neutral stand on all religions and rise above all controversies. Will you please convey my views to him?" I saluted him, nodded my head and came out. In the course of our drive back to the Secretariat" to see Karunanidhi, Commissioner Kuppuswamy, by way of expressing his displeasure at Rajaji blessing me that I would become the chief of the police force, criticised Rajaji as a fox and an unreliable person. It was a jarring criticism. Since the Commissioner of Police did not want to convey Rajaji's advice to the Chief Minister because it was not a palatable news to be conveyed, he opted out on the plea that he was in mufti and he had better go back to office. So, I went and met Karunanidhi and conveyed what exactly Rajaji advised him. Karunanidhi made a wry face and pooh poohed Rajaji's advice.
I am mentioning this because it was one of my memorable experiences as a police officer to have interacted with a great man like Rajaji on such an issue. What Rajaji advised Karunanidhi at that time on this issue, is very relevant even now. For instance, in the wake of the bomb blasts in Coimbatore in December 1997 and February 1998, I felt that there was no need for Karunanidhi to have aired his personal opinion in public that Hinduism and Hindu religious practices were barbaric, comparing the demolition of the Babri Masjid12 which had wounded the feelings of Muslims to the possible feelings of Hindus in case of the demolition of temples. I was surprised that a person of Karunanidhi's stature with experience in public life for more than half a century should give expression to such feelings in public. They may be his own personal views but as a Chief Minister, he ought to have had a neutral stand. Somehow I feel that such observations of Karunanidhi probably had sent wrong signals to the other communities and hurt the feelings of the Hindus. Besides, even the bureaucracy and the police probably got it all wrong resulting in their initial soft attitude towards fundamentalists.
Regarding the main issue of the Vinayaka idol, it was subsequently established that a devout Hindu head constable of Mambalam Police Station nicknamed "Om Namasivaya Head constable" by his colleagues because he repeatedly uttered every now and then, "Om Namasivaya13" had planted the idol. Ultimately, it was the spiritualism of this HC, and the "spirituous proneness" of Inspector Vishwanathan which made them buy a Vinayaka idol from a shop in Pondy Bazaar14 and plant it at the scene that momentous night with all the trappings of a divine appearance. To simulate a divine glory as observed by the Anglo-Indian sergeant, they had fired crackers in the dead of the night.
I insisted thereon that Rajaji be kept informed of this development though Karunanidhi did not like it. But I had my way and when I told Rajaji that the idol was planted by a policeman, he felt that a statement from him would be misinterpreted as it has become a police departmental affair. I could not say anything and left with a tinge of sadness. Rajaji apparently observed it and even as I was coming back to the office, got a control room message that I had to call my residence. When I did so, my father told me that there was a call from Rajaji asking me to see him immediately. I rushed to Rajaji's house. Even as I was entering his house, Rajaji was waiting for me and said, "Young Man I could see you were pulling a long face at my not being enthusiastic about issuing a statement. I felt so because, I did not want to give an impression that I am glossing over your departmental men doing such things. By not issuing a statement again I did not want to give any importance to this aspect. But I understand your anguish. Having agreed to issue a statement and now not wanting to do so, I know it creates a piquant situation for you and you would be wondering how to face Karunanidhi without a statement from me. Well, I won't issue a statement as such, but will write to the 'Letters to the Editor' column in 'The Hindu' which you must take and deliver to G. Kasruri of the "The Hindu'. The idea was to water down the importance given to this planted idol more particularly when a policeman is behind it". I was amazed at Rajaji's shrewd administrative and political acumen. Rajaji gave his 'Letter to the Editor' which I delivered to G.Kasruri. The DMK's official Tamil daily 'Murasoli' however blew it up in a big way to their advantage.
Initially, the idol was given to the H.C., but since he started making it a focal point of controversy, it was removed from him and had become a court property being the case property. I remember that Cho of 'Thuklak' had written about this. The Jan Sangh made an issue of this. Lord Vinayaka disappeared the same way as he appeared. I must say that the investigation of this case is memorable in my life and career and my interaction with Rajaji which also gave me a glimpse of the greatness of the man continues to linger in my mind.
 

3 comments:

  1. Excellent Article Sir..
    From Balaji

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too good I could not stop myself from sharing in the www.facebook.com

    ReplyDelete