Monday, November 8, 2010

IN MEMORIAM - CHITTRANJAN IPS Retd.





IN MEMORIAM
( Late Chittaranjan IPS (Retd 1961 RR )

“Death, be not so proud”
So wrote a poet of renown
But when death does claim
A friend valued and old
Its sting deep into us sinks
Leaving us bereft and grieving.

His name was Chittaranjan
Known fondly as Chittu by all
Friends he had aplenty
But myself I counted as one so dear
That to the Apollo Specialty Hospital
I hied, to offer succour and hope.

For Chittu money was not never ending
So, in friendship and regard
I took him a cheque of great worth
Humbly, as my grateful gift.




Cancer had my friend in its toils
And wracked him to the end
Till he succumbed and left us
For the Divine Feet of Jesus
His wife and children to me did look
To help them cope with their loss

What I could, I did
For the man I’d known so long
In Chennai did we study
Different though the colleges were
In debates we did contest
In Economics and so on

Cricket was another passion
Chittu did a fast ball bowl
For his side – the University team
Pity he could not knock out
Cancer, as easily as he did
The stumps of batsmen opposing him


So great his love for the game
And its never ending nuances
That my sons dear and daring
Did on him in affection confer
The admiring sobriquet
The Fifth Umpire

                                                           Serving in N.E.F.A
                                                    While in the Police Force
I found to my great fortune
That Chittu was also there around
Where I heard with pride Chittu’s
Unimpeachable integrity and
Professional competence
And many a cozy evening did we spend
Catching up on memories long and dear
And also of missed days and years

Alas! The Fifth Umpire is dead
I console myself with trying to help
Patcy, his wife and family
With whatever I can do
To assuage their grief and emptiness
                                                       However little it may be

Rest in peace my friend
You have really earned it well
                                                                                                       By
                                                                                                       V.Vaikunth IPS (Retd. 1961 RR)








                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment